Sunday 27 October 2013

DIY: Trick or Treat bags


I don't quite know how to start this post, as it's something I never imagined myself talking about, but I guess I should just admit it - I did some 'crafts'. Just saying the word makes me hate myself, as it conjures up images of a pushy mother who bakes lots and gets overly involved with her children's school activities... (way to stereotype and offend oh so many people in one single sentence, Lucy...)

In a pushy mother's defence, she probably has a reason to make such crafts, I, on the other hand, have created a cardboard 'Trick or Treat' bag, which I have no intention of using and is not aesthetically pleasing enough for me to want in my flat. I know, I know, what a great use of my time. But, what can I say, I spent a lot of time on Pinterest and watching YouTube tutorials of pointless things, OK?!

So, if you wish to waste enjoy an evening in with bits of card and some stationary, you could make your very own bag with the simple tutorial below:

What you'll need:
Scissors 
Double-sided sticky tape
Ruler
Pen/pencil
Hole punch
2/3 pieces of card in 2 different colours (you can also use wrapping paper around any old card)
2 pieces of ribbon (ideally 2 different colours - one about 1 inch thick, the other about 1cm - way to mix measuring systems)

How it's done:




1. With the first piece of card, measure out a square and cut it out (I think I made this about 6in x 6in).

2. Once you have a square, measure out a further square 1 inch in from the edges.

3. Fold each side at the 1in line and cut tabs into the four corners.



4. Using double-sided sticky tape, stick the tabs down to form the base of the bag.

5. With the second piece of card, measure the height you want the bag to be and cut it to size (landscape view, so that it goes further around the base).

6. Looking at the paper in landscape view, stick double-sided sticky tape across the bottom of the card.



7. Stick the card to the base (around 3/4 of the way up, so that the base is visible), and repeat with a second piece of card to cover, then stick the two pieces together. If you make a smaller bag or use a larger piece of card, you shouldn't need to do this (obviously...)

8. Take the thicker ribbon and place it just above the middle of the bag. Measure out enough so that it goes all the way round the bag.

9. Using two strips of double sided sticky tape, stick the ribbon down.



10. Measure out another square in the original card - this time about 2in x 2in.

11. Fold over the card and cut out the corners of the folded edge.

12. Put a hole in the middle of the folded piece of card (between the two cut out corners) - preferably with a hole punch, but if you 'mislay' yours in your tip of a flat, then just poke a pair of scissors through for a more 'rustic' approach...

13. Using double-sided sticky tape, stick the bottom of the card to the top of the bag, right in the middle. Repeat on the other side, making sure the two holes match up when the bag is squeezed together.



14. Using the thinner ribbon, thread it through the two holes.

15. Using the original coloured card, cut out two shapes of choice and write on your chosen sentiment. I chose 'Trick or Treat' seeing as it's Hallowe'en and all...

16. Stick the cut-out shape down over the ribbon going round the bag, and repeat on the other side.



17. Fill the bag with sweets and tie the ribbon at the top of the bag.

And there you have it, an in-no-way-useless 'Trick or Treat' bag. 

In all honesty, this was just a practice run, as I really wanted to make Christmas gift bags, but thought I had to restrain myself what with it being October and all, and this seemed like a happy medium. 

And I've just realised that made it sound ten times sadder... Ah well, I enjoy wrapping presents, there, I've said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment